Today we are announcing our new Voluntary Membership option for joining the Downtown Business Association. Please find below a preview of the media release, click here to download it, or visit our Voluntary Membership page to find the application.Voluntary Membership Oct 18, 2017 MR
Notice of the 2017 Annual General Meeting
The Corner Brook Downtown Business Association Board of Directors gives notice that DBA’s 2017 Annual General Meeting will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017at Swirsky’s Theatre and Music Hall, 7 Broadway.
All Members are invited to attend the 2017 Annual General Meeting and elect a Board of Directors.
Your voice is important. Please vote at the Annual General Meeting
If you are a member in good standing and are able to attend the Annual General Meeting on May 30, 2017, you may cast your vote at the Annual General Meeting.
Dated as of May 17, 2017.
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Corner Brook Downtown Business Association has launched its Unoccupied Commercial Property Listing, an ambitious plan to market and promote development in the downtown.
The property listing includes retail and office space for lease, buildings for sale and vacant structures. Where possible, ownership or realtor information is included, as well as pricing, square footage and potential uses.
“It is important to have a critical mass of business in the downtown,” said DBA Chair Jim Parsons. “By identifying unoccupied space and making the connection with owners, we hope to stimulate interest in these properties as business opportunities.”
Many properties are not listed as for sale or lease.
“It is a great time to buy or lease property in the downtown. We’re trying to look at this space as an opportunity instead of liability.”
The Unoccupied Commercial Property Listing can be found online at www.downtowncornerbrook.com. Owners of unoccupied buildings or those that have space for rent are encouraged to contact Nicole McKinnon at the Downtown Business Association (email@example.com or 634-7052) to have their properties added.
About the DBA
The Downtown Business Association BIA Board of Directors represents approximately 250 businesses in downtown Corner Brook and works in partnership with the City of Corner Brook and other stakeholder groups to enhance the area as a shopping, dining and services destination.
Jim Parsons, Chair
JOB TITLE: DBA SUMMER PROJECT AND EVENTS ASSISTANT
The Summer Project and Events Assistant will support the staff of the DBA in executing the overall vision of the Board of Directors as determined by our strategic management plan and monthly Board meetings. Their primary focus will be in planning, executing, and evaluating DBA projects and events.
This role offers plenty of variety and networking opportunities, as well as an opportunity to have input into DBA communications strategies, initiatives and events. The corporate culture is very positive, enthusiastic, and above all passionate about Downtown Corner Brook. The ideal candidate will be an ambassador in supporting our vision.
- Periodically send communications in the form of emails and newsletters to members, stakeholders, partners and the public regarding DBA activities
- Create content and monitor social media streams, supporting DBA social media strategy as directed
- Develop website content
- Update the online business directory and events calendar regularly
- Liaise with stakeholders, members, media, committees, the DBA Board of Directors, and partners on projects, initiatives and events
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director
- Assist in preparing materials for meetings, presentations, etc. related to projects of the DBA
- Support the office in maintaining accurate and organized hard copy and electronic files for all BIA related activities
- Backup reception
- Vendor sales & liaison leading up to events
- Assist in the areas of logistics, promotions, and communications in support of the DBA staff for all events
- On-site event work including administrative support, set up/take down, liaising with exhibitors
- Manage and perform customer service duties on event days
- Provide a pleasant, positive, and professional atmosphere for our members and the public when communicating with our office.
QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
Meet the following requirements of grant funding through the Canada Summer Jobs Program, including the following:
- Must be a student returning to or commencing post-secondary education in the following school year
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Customer service and sales experience an asset
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
- A positive, professional and confident demeanour
- Ability to deal effectively with the membership, partners, and the public
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to take initiative and follow through
- Experience and/or education in communications, marketing, event management, photography, graphic design, film editing, social media engagement and content creation, writing would be an asset
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: May 12th, 2017
We are glad to announce the Business Improvement Program for 2017 is now accepting applications. We encourage all member of the Downtown Business Association to take advantage of this City program. Please visit http://www.cornerbrook.com/investing-incentives/
The Business Improvement Program (BIP), introduced by the City of Corner Brook a few years back, is an annually budgeted initiative aimed at improving the frontal appearance of commercial properties in the City, while maintaining their traditional character and appeal. Specific guidelines were developed for this purpose, some of these include obtaining a building permit, at least two quotations for the proposed work, and meeting certain conditions in terms of constructions and/or landscaping. An evaluation committee needs to pre-approve the proposal before the actual work is undertaken.
Under the BIP, tax credit is offered by the City based on actual investment, subject to a maximum credit of $10,000. In addition, the building permit fee is refunded. The program, initially rolled out for the Downtown area, was later expanded to cover all the businesses in the City.
The BIP 2016 application deadline was 16th September 2016. No more applications will be received under this Program.
The port call of the Boudicca has been cancelled for tomorrow. The ship was due to leave Sydney, NS at 4 pm today and was unable to leave the dock due to high winds. The Captain has decided to stay overnight in Sydney and set sail from there mid-day tomorrow for the UK.
The next cruise ship scheduled to visit Corner Brook is the Rotterdam on Sunday, July 24th.